I once said “Food court cannot deliver gastronomic delights” and I am happy to bite my words. Kachori Jodhpureé, a Rajasthani food joint in the DT Megacity food court changed my perception… forever.
Rajasthani food is spicy, rich and prepared using varied spices whose flavors cannot be replicated using the packaged variants. There aren’t many who understand this and have the recipes passed from their generations. Result is evident. Not even a single restaurant is in Gurgaon where I could get authentic Lal Maas. Any mutton dish cooked in red gravy with a moderate amount of red chilies would be passed as Lal Maans and I always came out disappointed. Not anymore!
Amit Chowdhary, a Rajasthani and the man behind Kachori Jodhpureé, confesses that he is able to make only marginal profit as he uses best (expensive) ingredients to serve the authentic dishes at the normally available market price. Lal Maans-Bajre ki Roti-Garlic chutney-Ker Sangri platter (Rs 260) is a great meal for anyone who loves his food. It can put a mouth on fire with its fiery red chilies and will disconnect the mind from heart. Mind will say, hold on and heart with bursting taste buds will make hands to reach for the next bite. Unlike other places, this is actual slow cooking without using papaya as meat tenderizer. Equally good was Dal-Baati-Choorma (Rs190) which uses Chana, Bajra, wheat and soyabean flour and baked freshly to get the right impact when mixed with Desi Ghee and Panchmel Dal.
Lal Maas Receipe from Kachori Jodhpureé
Mutton : 1 KG Mutton…. Abt 10 pieces
Red Chillies whole : Abt 15-20
Garlic : 100 gms (paste… prefer making one rather than using packaged version)
Ginger : 50-80 gms (paste… prefer making one rather than using packaged version)
Red Chilly powder : 5-7 tea spoons
Green Coriander : for garnish
Yogurt : 200 gms
Onions : 10 medium size
Veg Oil / Ghee : Abt 250-300 gms
Cardamom powder : Abt 1 tea spoon.
Tez Patta+ Cinnamon sticks+Badi Elaichi : as per taste ( abt 5 cardamons split and ½ open + three to four medium sized cinnamon sticks)
1. Take half Oil and mix the chilly powder and half quantity of Ginger and garlic paste… mix well and do the marination of Mutton and keep it fr abt 2 hours
2. Boil paste of Red chillies and onion+balance of Ginger+garlic fr abt 10 mins with little oil and 100-150 gms of water.
3. Take marinated mutton and bhuno fry in the balance of oil fr abt 5-7 mins in medium flame along with Tez patta, Cinnamon sticks and Badi Elaichi.
4. Add Chilly+Onion paste in mutton and slow cook fr abt 10 mins
5. Churn yogurt nicely and slowly mix and blend..
6. Cook for more 10-12 mins in min 1heat… remember to cover the pan when cooking… Keep stirring occasionally
7. Add Cardamom powder… Check if the meat is tender… if not repeat the low heat covered cooking for a set of 5 mins.
Ensure that garnish is only done when serving and not immediately after its cooked… Use yr imagination to decorate the serving.
Aloo-Pyaaz kachoris (25) will remind you of Rawat’s at Jaipur, perhaps more. Chicken Kofta (50) was again flavorful but we didn’t like the thick outer dough used to cover the huge chicken ball. Mava Kacori (50) is a great way to end a very very satisfying meal.
Outlets name may lead you on only trying Kachoris, but don’t miss on the other delightful offerings from Kachori Jodhpureé.
Ratings out of 5
Food: 4.5 | Ambiance: NA | Service: NA |Overall: 4.5
Meal for Two: Rs400 | Alcohol: No | Credit Card: No| Timings: 11am – 11pm.
Address: 7, Food Court, DT Megacity food court, FLF Ph-1, Gurgaon| Phone: 98738-00990/ (011)45288-888 (Home delivery)